Sunday, October 5, 2014

Southern Living

By Mary

After what seems like the longest summer ever (partially, perhaps, because fall is so slow in coming this far down south, and bares little relation to my favorite kind of Colorado fall), we're finally, officially"settled". I unpacked the very last box of knickknacks while my parents visited just over a week ago, and even organized my closet a few days back. Now if the true definition of being moved in is having all your pictures on the wall, it's probably going to still be a while. But meantime we're slowly learning the ropes around here and finding our favorite places to frequent, beginning to get used to this southern living thing.

Of course life doesn't ever really go according to plan so our most frequented spot of all is in Savannah, Georgia, a little over an hour away. My hubby started having back pain just before we moved in and it got progressively worse to the point where he was walking with a cane and then really unable to walk or move at all and using a wheelchair for doctor appointments. Long story short, we're now driving an hour three times weekly and paying out of pocket to see a chiropractor to see if we can avoid back surgery. Praise God he's really doing so much better and I'm hopeful it continues. Every time I see him holding Dominick up and getting him to laugh or taking a minute to chase Gianna around the house or when he gets into the driver's side of the car, I realize how many of God's daily gifts I constantly take for granted.

This has been a hard move in so many ways and even now that its all calming down and everyone is adjusting pretty well and this beautiful house we've been blessed with is feeling like home, some days I feel so depressed. Mostly, I'm just lonely. Sometimes I'd just love someone else to talk with me, face to face, other than my almost three year old (though she does have a great vocabulary and imagination)

But I'm trying to stop...just stop wishing for what I don't have and make the most of what I do and realize how rich I am despite what I may think I lack or what I pray to be different.

I look at the other houses being built around us in our neighborhood. The process for some seems so long, while others spring up seemingly overnight and others come to some sort of standstill while they wait on something, something I can't see and can only guess at. And it reminds me that there are times and seasons for everything. God is at work, with the master plan He alone knows to make everything beautiful in it's own time. What I have is enough--and it's not finished. He's molding, building, shaping, inside my heart and the lives around me. And slowly I learn, over and over again, to enjoy Him and what He gives. Day by day.

No comments:

Post a Comment