Thursday, August 11, 2016

Victim of Circumstance

By Mary

I've been reading the book Lies Women Believe And the Truth That Sets Them Free, and I just came across the most convicting portion to me so far--about buying into the lie "If my circumstances were different, I'd be different."

In this section of the book, Nancy Leigh DeMoss writes:

 "We are saying, 'Someone or something made me the way I am.' We feel that if our circumstances were different-our upbringing, our environment, the people around us-we would be different. We would be more patient, more loving, more content, easier to live with.
 If our circumstances make us what we are, then we are all victims. And that's just what the Enemy wants us to believe. Because if we are victims, then we aren't responsible-we can't help the way we are. But God says we are responsible-not for the failures of others, but for our own responses and lives.
 The Truth is, our circumstances do not make us what we are. They merely reveal what we are."

The events of our lives and the people populating it shouldn't define us. When life presses and pushes, we can be molded evermore into Christ's image-if only we make the choice not to be victims of circumstance, but rather victors through Him Who loves us.

No comments:

Post a Comment