Thursday, June 8, 2017

When I grow weary

By Mary

Surprise, surprise, it's me writing for a change! Typically a long absence in writing for me means I just haven't found a way to manage my time to allow for things like blogging...it's often pretty low on the list of things I could do in the evenings after the kids' bedtime. Usually during the day some idea will float through my head, something I'd like to write about later, and I try to file it away in my memory and hope it doesn't get lost somewhere in the midst of mom brain. But these last months the inspiration just hasn't been there. Until one night last week during bedtime when I just felt worn out. And I tried to think of a way to describe it.

Overwhelmed didn't suit...I felt perfectly capable of doing the whole bedtime routine. There are quite a few teeth to brush in our house, several sets of pajamas to be put on, a couple of sensitive skins needing lotion, bedtime stories and snuggles waiting to be had. And none of its hard. There are just times when I'm so tired of doing it. Every day.

I have another confession too: sometimes I'm so tired of feeding people! And this is coming from someone who's husband deeply loves going out to eat, so it's not just meal preparation that gets to me.  I really probably have less right to complain than most. It's just these hungry little tummies that are always, well, hungry.

And that night last week is when the perfect word came to mind to describe my feeling in these moments. Weary. But immediately that word triggered another thought in my mind-

2nd Thessalonians 3:13 "But as for you, brethren, do not grow weary in doing good."

Usually I think of this verse when it comes to extra stuff. Service projects outside the home, for others. Helping at church. Not so much the daily necessities of life. But of course it holds just as true for the snotty noses and the afternoon snacks and the dishes and the baths and the laundry. Or for carving out time to read the bible or take a shower.

Lets not grow weary in doing good, daily, in every way, for Him, for us, for those around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment