Thursday, August 26, 2010

asking God

by Alanna

So after some fairly recent convictions from God, I've gotten back into my Bible more regularly. After skipping around for a while, I'm starting back at the beginning- Genesis and Matthew. It's been refreshing and new to me in a lot of ways. (I love how God can do that, even after you've read or heard something so many times, your eyes can be opened to see the wonder of God's story all over again). Another thing I've been doing is writing down questions- things I don't understand. Although this simple task may seem like a no-brainer, it is actually a new concept to me in my Bible reading. In the past I've honestly just skimmed over most of the passages or verses that I don't quite comprehend. Skimmed over in the sense that I don't search for answers to my questions.


"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Or what man is there among you who, when his son asks for a loaf, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, he will not give him a snake, will he? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him!"
Matthew 7:7-11
These verses, to be honest, have always fallen into that category of 'skimming over' in my mind. They sound great and encouraging, and I've always wished that I really believed them. Of course, I do believe that they are true.....but really? EVERYONE who asks receives? And EVERYONE who seeks finds? I can look back on countless times in my life when I have asked God, and it was not given to me. Memories of times when I have not received.
The first thing that I noticed when I read these verses this week, was that there was a little subnote 1 next to the word "ask," a small subnote 2 next to the word "seek", and the subnote 3 next to the word "knock." The margin in my bible to which these numbers refer, says "or Keep asking, or keep seeking, or keep knocking." I remember a sermon I heard a few months back, about this very verse. My pastor said this same thing- referring to the passage of the woman who pesters the judge until he gives her protection. Luke says that Jesus tells this parable "to show that at all times they ought to pray and not to lose heart" (Luke 18:1)
So I have a new resolution, to pray and not lose heart. To keep seeking, keep asking, keep knocking. Maybe there's a significant difference between knocking once then sighing in frustration and walking away because God didn't answer the first time, and knocking over and over again, refusing to leave until God answers my request. I want to be like the widow with the judge. I want to pester God. Not just for general things, but for specific requests and people that He has laid on my heart. I want to refuse to leave until He grants these petitions, or gives me a clear no.
I think Jesus was telling the truth in Matthew 7 =) Maybe He likes to be asked, over and over again, so that He can give and open the door for His children.

2 comments:

  1. "refusing to leave until God answers my request."

    I've been thinking about this, too. The story of Jacob, where he wrestles with God and even though he is losing and permanently lamed by the experience, he won't let go until God blesses him.

    It's so hard. It's so faith. And it seems to be the right thing to do.

    To God be all glory,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alanna, One thing I have learned about keeping on knocking, keeping on asking and keeping on seeking is that often God is already answering during my waiting---working in me or in circumstances prerequisites to the answer I'm waiting on.
    Also during the "keeping on" time He is giving me more understanding of His love and growing me closer to Him in the process.

    ReplyDelete