Friday, August 13, 2010

the only life worth living

by Alanna



The past few weeks have been full- the funeral of my Grandfather, the wedding of my best friend, a 64-hour work week, and finally a family vacation to Illinois and Wisconsin. God has been so evident in all these affairs, always faithful, drawing us closer to Himself. Life seems to change quicker than I am ever prepared for, and how blessed I am to have a God who never changes- He who in fact writes the script.



I have been especially challenged and encouraged in the past week or so- convicted about things, and urged to live life for Christ alone. My younger brother and I attended a camp in Wisconsin for the latter part of family vacation. It lasted for less than 4 days, and through it God convicted me in numerous ways. He opened my eyes to my apathy and complacency, the tolerance for sin that I so often allow into my life, and the half-heartedness that so often characterizes my relationship with Him. So often my life is defined by what I want, where I want to go, what I want to do. Life is not about us. Jesus tells us clearly to deny ourselves and follow Him (Luke 9:23). We are to crucify our flesh and walk in the Spirit. So many thoughts and desires have been put into my heart in the past week- the desire to love God, to pursue Jesus Christ with every breath in my body, and to witness to people about the truth. I'm praying that God would give me the strength to follow Him, because without Him it is impossible.

The book I'm currently reading is called "To Die is Gain," the story of the martyrs John and Betty Stam. Two quotes by Betty Stam sum up my assortment of thoughts for the night.

"When we consecrate ourselves to God, we think we are making a great sacrifice, and doing lots for Him, when really we are only letting go some little, bitsie trinkets we have been grabbing, and when our hands are empty, He fills them full of His treasures."

"It's as clear as daylight to me that the only worth-while life is one of unconditional surrender to God's will, and of living in His way, trusting His love and guidance."

No comments:

Post a Comment