Wednesday, January 19, 2011

and the days roll by

By Mary
This is Allie.

She's sweet and curious and gets into everything. And she's teaching my husband and me yet another lesson in patience. But every time she snuggles up close and falls asleep in my lap, I forget all my frustration over anything she chewed up that day.

And the days roll by...Christmas came and went...then New Years. My mom came out and her visit is halfway gone. We've had our puppy for over a week. January too will soon be gone. Life seems to go so much faster these days somehow.

It no longer feels like a dream. It's been six months since our wedding and it finally stopped feeling like a visit, like someday I'll go home and everything will be just as it was. But this is home, for however long. And things change whether I expect them to do so or not.

How do I make the most of it? Some days I'd rather spend my time wishing Alanna were here or I was with her, covered in sunshine and love--and baby vomit. Or that we were both in Colorado, living life "normally".

I can remember so vividly one day feeling the exact same way at TLC...finally used to everything. Finally loving it. No longer homesick. But wishing, somehow, that the worlds that I loved most could be one. That I could hold Pamela on my lap and whisper "I love you" to each other while surrounded by the lively discussion of my best friends.

But it's never to be...and what of the things that are, now?

Fear God and keep His commandments...for this is man's all...

No comments:

Post a Comment