Friday, January 7, 2011

every good thing given

Yesterday was such a blessing. In the morning, I and three other volunteers took the Lions out to breakfast at a sit-down restaurant called Mug ‘n Bean (similar to Panera). Eating out with seven 2 and 3 year olds is quite an adventure. (Maybe now I understand why my parents didn’t attempt it much when I was young). Frank made friends with a waiter, and screamed loudly as the man made faces at him around a corner. Nadia talks to everyone- to the waiter cleaning up the mess of ice cream and pancake on the seat cushions- “what are you doing man?” Solly found another waiter from across the room, and led him by the hand to a light in the corner, asking “what’s that?” Oh my loves- how lucky and blessed will be the families that adopt these ones. After Mug ‘n Bean we went to preschool, and found a frog in the sandpit. Releasing it into the grass turned out to be quite the hilarious undertaking. Later on in my class, I played play-dough with my four little ones, and then dragged them around the floor on a big blanket, screaming and laughing. For the rest of the day, I spent (as usual) a good amount of time in the bathroom, supervising children on the toilet. Some day I should record the conversations I have with them. I also got to spend a good hour with just my little boy. We went walking in mud puddles with our bare feet, and then sat on the step of my cottage and shared some of my Christmas chocolate. It was one of those moments- the ones that fill me. This is the kind of love I will never regret.

I’ve been telling the Lions since I first came back that God made them. God also made the sky and the sun and the rain and the wind. So now they often tell me “God made the pool!” or “God made the cookie!” And I at first didn’t know what to say- I tried to think of a round-about way to explain how it came about. Then in one of those moments God put this on my heart- “Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow” (James 1:17). It is right and good that they look to God as the giver of all good things in their life. And also right that I hope in Him for good things in their future.

1 comment:

  1. hey Alanna, aww that's so cute! I'm glad you're doing well there. I'm praying for you!

    ReplyDelete