Tuesday, September 6, 2011

9/6/11

dear little one,

today i mailed your blanket
the one i've been making all summer long
i had to pack it in a box and i couldn't fit
so i sent it without me
i wish i could be there to give it to you
we'd play peekaboo and then you'd run to my arms
and we'd laugh and laugh

the geese are flying south
i saw them yesterday overhead
and i wished i had wings because i'd join them
and fly to you

the colder the days get
the more i'm reminded that this is the time of year
that i'm supposed to go to your country
[the distance is quite simply much too far for me to row
it seems farther than ever before]

my heart aches and longs and sometimes
i think it will burst out of me
because it can't stand to be so far from you
my little love
[i need you so much closer]

i went to the police station and got fingerprinted for a preschool lab
and remembered back to one year ago
and the year before that
at that same spot, getting paperwork done
so i could fly to you

i am so proud of you
the way you've grown
the things you've learned
your heart of joy
your first "i love you"

baby i have missed so much
it has been too long
don't grow up too fast without me

i hope you never hurt the way i do
i hope you don't miss me
but i hope that you remember
that you are loved

and your momma holds your heart in hers

No comments:

Post a Comment