Monday, December 16, 2013

surprised by gentleness

 By Mary

My so-very-close-to-being-two-year-old has a pretty good understanding of discipline and consequences. I think she even appreciates the justice of it, though it doesn't in the least prevent her from doing the things she knows will earn an unfavorable result for herself.

But I've also noticed that in those moments when she's at her worst and the very hardest to love, when something inside me makes her pull her close and kiss her soft, the sweet surprise teaches so many lessons in itself.

I can tell she knows that she doesn't deserve it, that it doesn't excuse her behavior. But she knows I love her anyway and always will. And that's when she softens, quick as a wink, and presses her chubby little cheek against mine with a squeeze around the neck and the sweetest "wuv youu" that ever was.

I'm so thankful God loves us with such merciful love, praying it will always soften our hearts and cause us to seek His.

No comments:

Post a Comment