Sunday, April 13, 2014

miracles here

by Alanna



I write this blog sitting in D’Sabores, a dessert place off our main boulevard, eating my 1st donut in this country.

Miracles are happening here. A stretch of road down the street from us got paved, mostly. They did it like we do driveways in the States- with forms and poured concrete and leveling it off.

One of my hardest students has dramatically improved in the last months. He is still a small feisty fighter in recess, but in class he works and pays attention. He and I finally have a good relationship.

My students asked me in English class, when is God’s birthday? I told them God didn’t have a birthday, and was met with shocked and incredulous stares. Nearly all 20 little pairs of eyes seemed equally surprised to hear that God will never die either. We got around to how God hates sin and can’t let anyone into heaven because of it. I think they got it, because my worst student, in frustration, despairingly asked me in Spanish if nobody could go to heaven then? I drew them the shadow of the cross picture again, but this time they paid much more attention. For miracles like this, I remember why I wanted to come to Honduras.   

The baby is growing, and it’s a miracle. I’m in awe. My students pat my tummy and say, “Hola bebesito.” They ask lots of questions.

God is answering prayers. In our marriage, in our hearts. Growing us both. And I’m amazed because I can SEE it.

God is working in the life of our director at school. And he wants to bring us all along. He says that God wants a revival for ALCS. Yesterday all of the teachers had a “spiritual retreat,” and he gave us all material to read about what revival means. It was pages all about repentance, about the many sins we commit and how we need to confess them and humble ourselves before God. Afterward we talked for 2 hours and so many teachers confessed grievances they had held against each other. Asked forgiveness, sought reconciliation. We were surprised and thankful to find such a biblical idea of revival in a place so filled with emotionally driven “spiritual” experiences.

God has blessed us in other ways, to many to say. Surprising, undeserved grace.

“I will praise You forever for what You have done; in Your name I will hope, for Your name is good. I will praise You in the presence of Your saints.” –Psalm 52:9
 

No comments:

Post a Comment