Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Mazel Tov

By Mary

I got to spend five fantastic days in Colorado with my husband, my family and all my best friends celebrating my brother's wedding. And since we had five days, who could blame us for celebrating the beauty of the Rocky Mountains, the wonderful inexpensiveness of the used book store by my parents house, the way God listens to as well as answers our prayers, and in general the incredible friendships He's given to us all.

The night before my brother's wedding, his best man told us he would be using the phrase mazel tov a lot the next day. Which stirred up the discussion about what the words actually meant. Congratulations? Best wishes? A blessing on your head? So I looked it up. It's a Yiddish phrase, literally translated as good luck or fortune and used to acknowledge good fortune occurring for someone--such as the blessing of marrying the person God has given you to love forever.

Thinking about that phrase makes me remember the many gifts I've been given. Life and laughter; the way I grew up and the people who grew up around me. Hope and joy; the chance to learn and travel and love and hurt.

It was even harder to leave home this time than it was last time. I don't know when I'll be coming back, or what will have changed in the in-between. And still, God blesses me here in a new home, living and learning with my man. And waiting to see what He has in store next.

Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!

1 comment:

  1. It was a blessing to have you home even though it was so short. We have hope for Christmas visit :)

    ReplyDelete