Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Beyond Better Homes and Gardens

By Mary

I used to rarely watch TV. We'd have movie nights sometimes and other than that, it was mostly sports being watched on our television. And I didn't watch those.

Then I got married to a guy who likes TV. A lot. So now I watch more. And mostly, it's sports. Go figure. But I also discovered two little TV stations that are perfect gems in my eyes--Home and Garden Television and the Do It Yourself network. So while I've gotten my education in football, basketball and baseball, my man gets the joy of learning all about other people's design styles, home renovations and decorating tips.

I've always had a thing for interior decorating. I'm amazed by how God has allowed and enabled humans to have the ability to create from His creation and I love to see the way people bring beauty and harmony and comfort and tranquility into a home through a little thought and time and ingenuity. I love to see the creativity and the uniqueness. There are limitless options for creating beauty.

But I have to be careful. I start getting inspired and dreaming and all the creative juices start flowing and I make plans that can't be carried out all at once, if ever. And sometimes I get discontent with my limits. Sometimes I get distracted.

I believe God gives us that piece of our hearts that enjoys creating things lovely to the eye and soul and bringing order from chaos. But it's not all there is to it. My vision for life is supposed to be bigger than a picture from Better Homes and Gardens. And I should never allow any good gift to block my view or slow down my pursuit of the One Who gives so freely.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider Him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment