Wednesday, February 27, 2013

sleepless nights

By Mary

In the last 14 months, I've learned how precious sleep really is, one of God's constant, amazing, overlooked gifts. I try to remember to appreciate it, now that I fully enjoy my little one's 12 hour sleep schedule. It's not hard though since there's a baby boom in our church and I get lots of little reminders from my friend's sleep deprived nights.

But then there's nights like these with the baby sleeping sweetly in her crib, probably on her tummy with her knees tucked up, and the dog probably stealing my empty spot in our bed. Restless, emotional, mind-wearying nights. Nights that, in the end, I love. Prayer rarely feels so powerful to me as on these nights when a simple conversation with God brings peace flooding through every part of me within the first few words uttered in my heart.

I see so many examples in the Bible of devotion to prayer...in the Psalms, Daniel, Jesus! I love to read how much time He took to be alone to pray, after every crazy thing that happened, before everything that lay ahead, always.  And it reminds me...it's such a blessing to pray! And whatever  difficulties I have prioritizing it, in the end I'm always far better off. What a gracious God!

No comments:

Post a Comment