Tuesday, July 2, 2013

the frailty of life

by Alanna
  
On June 22nd, 2013, I became Mrs. Hailu- wife and helper and lifelong companion to the one I love. The wedding went well despite any worries I had, and hopefully gave glory to God- the Giver of this good gift called marriage. I was blessed by so many dear friends and my precious family rejoicing with us. Afterward we spent a week in the mountains, which was a gift in so many ways. I’m quite sure I love Yonas more now than I did a week ago, even than a day ago. I had some fears before the wedding, that maybe sin would manifest itself stronger after marriage, and that we’d go from joy and delight in each other to fighting and hard. Our first week of marriage dispelled those fears for me, because God is the One who brought us together. He blessed us with so many good things all week. We danced in the kitchen and laughed hard and walked and cooked and loved.


On our third day of marriage, God gave us a stark reminder of the frailty of life. And I pray we count each other more of a gift because of it. Yonas and I went out in the canoe on a big lake. We had ventured out a bit too far when the wind picked up and the canoe tipped. The water was icy cold and I panicked. The shore was much too far for swimming against the cold waves. We asked Jesus to come to our rescue. He sent a boat. And we are still alive, even today. Instead of drowning, we get to be married and love each other for one more day. It puts things in perspective. Those vast mountains- their Creator so powerful and strong. And then little weak us- flailing in a tiny spot of water. And He comes to our rescue. I believe it’s so that we can love- Him and those around us. It reminded us not to take each other for granted. Every moment is really a gift. No matter what else I do as a wife or a sister or a daughter or a friend, I want to love people fiercely, as if time is not guaranteed. I want to hold nothing back. Because today is all we may have left. 

No comments:

Post a Comment