Friday, August 16, 2013

adapting



(written on August 12th)
by Alanna
 
I write this blog for now on paper, as we haven’t yet found internet in Catacamas. I’m sure it’s here, just not in our apartment or at the school. Internet, like many things I’ve found, is not a life necessity.

My husband opens our little fridge to get bottled water (nobody drinks tap water here). Inside I see one Yoplait yogurt, a banana, an apple, half a jar of spaghetti sauce, and some unidentified fruit which in my opinion tastes kind of like grass. In the door there is a jar of jelly and a box of juice. Other than that the shelves are bare. I laugh and tell Yonas that I never in my life lived with such an empty fridge.

After our spaghetti dinner tonight, we split one of those chocolate wafer sticks in half, to share. We laughed together, because it’s good but new- this living cheaply, living simply. We have plenty of money in the bank, and we don’t go hungry. Soon we’ll also figure out how to efficiently grocery shop here.

We read this verse in Acts 2 a few days ago- “They received their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having favor with all the people.” I’d like that to be us.
I’ve been using socks for potholders, my shirt for a kitchen towel, and a table for an ironing board. Yonas is playing guitar now on our improvised “couch”, which he so creatively made yesterday from 2 chairs, a suitcase, and a blanket. We deep cleaned the whole apartment yesterday- bathroom, screens, windows, floors, furniture- with just 2 rags, a scrubbie, disinfectant, bleach, and water. (There was no broom or mop so I washed the floors Cinderella style). I’m going to learn to make tortillas, hopefully; to hand wash our clothes in the pila, to cook/bake everything with only one working electric burner.

We have so many blessings here. Kind teachers at the school, a very approachable director who is fluent in English, our own furnished place to live. We live in a safe, secure place, we have cell phones, clothes, food, electricity, and running water. We even have 2 fans here, which my handy husband repaired. We have each other to love and serve and lean on. Soon we get to meet kids to love and teach. Jesus paid the ransom to free us. Tonight I’m so very thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment