Sunday, November 10, 2013

 November 3rd, 2013
by Alanna

Today Yonas and I are at a new church, as he is practicing music this afternoon with some young people and our school's music teacher. I think he is helping them prepare for a special service, but with our limited Spanish, neither of us are exactly sure. (Note: Turns out that church service began shortly after I finished writing this blog in my notebook. Yonas was up there on stage with his guitar so he just became part of the worship team. We laughed hard about it later and were reminded that Honduras = flexibility)

As usual on the weekends, I'm waging small battles in my mind. Why are we here? Why always so busy? Why haven't we found a good church, good fellowship yet? Me, me, me, always struggling to rise. He is stronger than all this, and He puts songs of rejoicing in my mouth. This is part of why I practice gratitude. Because gratitude kills the me in me. It acknowledges that He is what life is about. To give Him glory is to know joy. They sing this song here, 

"Recibe toda la gloria, recibe toda la honra, 
precioso Hijo de Dois." 

 It's that He would receive all the glory and the honor. Amazingly, in part, through my thanksgiving. So this afternoon, I practice dying to me and in giving thanks, gaining happiness. Through Him glorified.

Thank You, Father, for....
1) random Christians expressing glad welcome to us
2) the music teacher's generosity
3) the way music crosses language barriers
4) patient people talking to me in Spanish
5) my little friend Carlos Roberto
6) being trusted to give my husband haircuts
7) seeing people learn new things
8) walking with my husband and coming upon a random plaza
9) a big disused fountain with mysterious steps leading underneath
10) supportive parents of 1st graders
11) adoption
12) the order of red plastic chairs in rows
13) ceiling fans
14) Honduran sunshine
15) close mountains carpeted green
16) good ice cream for 25 lempiras ($1.25)
17) tree branches covered in moss and stretching far over our heads
18) God creative
19) the gift of communion with Him
20) the Psalms

No comments:

Post a Comment