Sunday, February 23, 2014

life abundant

By Mary


My baby boy was due this past Friday, but as it turns out by God's graciousness, I've been holding him in my arms for the past two and a half weeks. He's pure perfection.



I'm so humbled by how intimately and sweetly God has been involved in everything, orchestrating details so perfectly to allow my husband to be there for the birth and the entire first weekend and also for a surprise long weekend over Valentine's Day. There's been a million little blessings so undeserved and I'm just grateful to be living life with eyes open to it all. How much would I miss--have I missed so often in life--by keeping my eyes so fixed on me, rather than Him.


This past summer I laughed with my friend over the Taylor Swift song 22, and how breakfasts at midnight and making fun of exes contrasted with the 22nd years we were living out in our lives--where we talked about our husbands and homes, job, babies, my newly discovered pregnancy.

There seem to be a million lists out there in the world at large about things you should do and be and experience before 25 and all of it seems so selfish to me. It's about self-fulfillment and living up life and making the most of your dreams and tasting what life has to offer. Which all sounds nice...I get the traveling bug sometimes and wish I could be in another country again. And occasionally I think about if I should have done the college thing. Mostly I just remember how nice sleeping in used to be. But I'm so thankful I was taught that life isn't about me and that sacrifice isn't just a kill-joy for those who lack vision or strong will.

I'm so thankful to taste of the abundant life God gives in a heart given over to Him and His purposes, thankful for more than just shallow pleasures. And even when it doesn't feel as happy and rewarding as it does in my life right now, I'm thankful to be assured that His ways are truly best and His rewards are beyond compare.

"You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore."

No comments:

Post a Comment