Tuesday, March 4, 2014

missing you

By Mary

I think if I'd had more of a clear idea of what this would be like, these months away from each other, I might have said no about you trying to be a Warrant Officer, might have even said let's find something new, something different from this Marine Corps life. If I'd known we'd have another baby, anticipated how hard it would be telling our little girl "not today" every time she asks "daddy come home please?", or understood the ache of saying goodbye to you during this time, maybe it would have never happened, maybe it would all be different.

And maybe that's why I didn't know, because this is how it's supposed to be. So for now I'll just be thankful--that's it's only four months, not seven or twelve or any other length of time. For things like cell phones and Skype, and for the moments when there's actually time in your day to put them to use. For the fact that you cancelled your private promotion ceremony and were the last in your class to be officially promoted so you could drive here to be with me when our son was born.

I think half the reason why I love how much he looks like you is because I can watch this perfect little miniature you and hold him close and his nearness in the room at night somehow makes the time til we're all together again seem a little less long. I know once that time is here, all this won't seem so bad, just another thing we've gotten through and gone past. She'll still be your little girl and you can learn all about this new little boy.

I'm really proud of you and all you've accomplished and how hard you work to excel.  And I'm thankful for how much  you mean to me and that I can spend all this time missing you.

No comments:

Post a Comment