Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Happy Father's Day

by Alanna


We're celebrating the return of electricity with Kirk Franklin and "Playing for Change" music. I have this crazy idea that the baby, if not hearing, might be feeling the rhythm and soul of these beats daddy loves.

Yesterday we celebrated Father's Day here in Honduras. A lot of student's dads came to school, played games with their kids and listened to the pastor talk. Because of needing to supervise first grade, all I caught of that was, "Tiene que orar por sus hijos." So true.

Fathers matter. I see their values and priorities reflected in the attitudes and actions of my students. One cries hard for not making the honor roll, and I understand better after her dad questions me at length about why not, and asks me where she ranks among her classmates academically. One is tenderhearted. She showed me one day the illustration of the shadow of the cross, copied in her notebook from memory after I taught it. She tells me she's not afraid to ride a motorcycle anymore, because she trusts in God. And I see her father, a follower of Jesus, his values mirrored in his daughter. I see it all the time.

Yesterday all the fathers received a little blue shirt, pinned on. It read "superpapa." I found Yonas wearing one, and couldn't stop smiling. I'm so thankful God gave this man as the father of my children. If their lives reflect his, they will play soccer and guitar, both brilliantly. But they will also be patient, slow to speak and slow to anger. They will value people more than things, be willing to follow Jesus wherever He leads. They will be hard workers, and fix their eyes not material possessions, but on the things that really matter.

And my child's grandfather? I pray they reflect my father also. That they work hard, love the Word, cherish their own families someday, stand up against tides of injustice. I so respect these two men- my father and my husband. I thank God for them and pray that I never take them for granted. God has used them so to mold and shape me. May I keep submitting to His work through them, keep rejoicing in His blessings.

Happy Father's Day to you both.


No comments:

Post a Comment