Friday, November 26, 2010

Giving thanks

By Mary

Life has been full the past couple of weeks and internet time hasn't been my top priority. With holidays, weddings and looking for a house, there's been lots of time away from our apartment and lots of decisions to be made. However, it's also meant extra time with my husband and new friends so I can't complain.

We put an offer on a house 5 minutes away from the military base where Nick is stationed. If everything goes as planned, we may be able to move in before Christmas.

On Thanksgiving Eve my sister-in-law and I were invited to a Thanksgiving fun day at a private Christian school that some of the kids in our church attend. They had the cutest little program in their Pilgrim and Indian outfits, loads of games and prizes, hay rides and a pony ride and a big Thanksgiving lunch.

Yesterday we spent the afternoon and evening at a friend's house, playing with their dog, their boys, their Catchphrase, Mad Gab and Phase 10, and of course eating another big Thanksgiving meal.

And time after time my mind goes wandering back to last year, the first time I spent the holiday away from home. Alanna and I had the fun of shopping and cooking for twenty people from over seven different countries who of course had never celebrated Thanksgiving.

This year I missed my family, Alanna, the children of my heart. And God is just as worthy to be praised, glorified and thanked as if I had all of them here with me this very minute.

Thanks-giving is not a day but an attitude of the heart, something that should be based not on circumstances but on the Giver of every good thing. He has blessed me and continues to do so every day in a thousand ways.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment