Wednesday, November 3, 2010

News of the day

By Mary

This morning it was hard to muster up the courage to get out of bed, to throw off the warmth of the covers and face the cold. It's been chilly lately. Gray skies and blustery breezes. My new slippers have become well-acquainted with my feet and I always have a blanket handy when I sit down to read.

It's the kind of weather perfect for baking cookies and stirring up a pot of hot apple cider.

Snow is on my mind--the sad fact that I most likely won't get to see more than a dusting this winter. I've always believed that cold without snow is the saddest sort of cold. I'll just have to follow the advice I've been given and bundle up in sweaters for a walk along the beach. If I can't have the things Colorado has to offer, I might as well enjoy the things Colorado doesn't have.

Like the parades and the festivals and the craft fairs, or the little Parson's General Store just down the street. There's the historic district of Beaufort and the once a month free concerts held on the docks there throughout the year. Or the twice a month movies in the summer.

There seems to be plenty to enjoy if you know where to look.

We're halfway through our college class, with midterms this week. We'll be going over everything we've learned about Bibliology and Theology and starting on Christology the next week.

The Awana program at church is settling down into a pattern...though several of the leaders have been discussing changes that need to be made. My brother is currently the acting commander as our commander is undergoing chemotherapy and radiation treatment throughout the week. Please be in prayer for his healing. He's such a wonderful, godly man.

This is my first year working with the T&T girls and I'm completely amazed sometimes at how little basic Bible knowledge they have. Or basic vocabulary and memorization skills. We've begun sharing prayer requests with one another (though one of my girls didn't understand that concept either) I want to be faithful in prayer for them and that Wednesday nights would be about more than playing some games and earning candy and Awana bucks.

The election results I've seen so far last night and this morning have only shown me that all the things I voted for were voted against by the majority.

Sometimes life seems like a hopeless struggle against the world, against darkness and ignorance and vice. At times it's hard to care, the passion dies down, for what's the point of putting in the effort? But the future is so bright. We don't have to save the day, only follow God through each moment of it. He's already taken care of the rest.

2 comments:

  1. "We don't have to save the day, only follow God through each moment of it. He's already taken care of the rest."

    Amen sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that you continue in that sense of God's presence and direction :)

    ReplyDelete