Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Wall Street

By Mary

There's been a few too many posts by Mary lately and not nearly enough Alanna. She's arrived safely at TLC and is settling back into working and loving and serving. Please be in prayer for physical and spiritual health for all the volunteers. Working long hours with so many little kids, you're always a little sick. And I long for spiritual revival to sweep over the whole ministry. Also be in prayer for Thea Jarvis who has been dealing with a lot of health problems over the past few months.

Who knew you could miss someone so much when you never see them anyway?

The days lately have been full with one thing and another--church events, projects, time spent with my brother and sister-in-law before he starts his new-found job, phone calls to home, cleaning and cooking and shopping and Bible study and lots of prayer.

Perhaps it's due to the many people who are on my heart. I can't be with them so I pray for them. And one of those beloved people has been reminding me that God is powerful. "We have not because we ask not..." So I'm asking. For big things. Things only a big God can do.

I'm investing more of myself here...my time, energy, thoughts. I'm so happy that my dearest friends are willing to put in the effort to stay in touch as I haven't been very good at initiating.

The weather here has cooled down significantly since a tropical storm came through and dropped over ten inches in one day. I'd still love to have a chilly fall day in Colorado with crunchy leaves, hot chocolate and my friends and family.

On our two month anniversary, I went to see a movie called Wall Street with my husband, my brother and my sister-in-law. I wasn't really sure what it was about or if it would be good but I really enjoyed it. The acting and filming were great. The story was interesting and though-provoking. I felt like I could sit back and observe the characters actions and feel involved without actually relating to them. And I saw Bible truth, though neither the characters nor I'm sure the people who came up with the movie support Bible truth.

"If anyone teaches otherwise and does not consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which accords with godliness, he is proud, knowing nothing, and is obsessed with disputes and arguments over words, from which come envy, strife, reviling, evil suspicions, useless wranglings of men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain. From such withdraw yourself.

Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world and it is certain we shall bring nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content. But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."

I was reminded of how fleeting the things of this world and even the lives we live in this world really are and how shaky is any foundation besides the Rock of Ages.

It was a modern day telling of King Solomon's life, and though the characters may not have reached his same conclusion, the film clearly portrayed that the conclusion of the whole matter is to:

"Fear God and Keep His commandments
For this is man's all.
For God will bring ever work into judgement
Including every secret thing
Whether good or evil. "

No comments:

Post a Comment