Thursday, October 14, 2010

the work God wants of us

By Alanna

It has been now nearly two weeks since I arrived back in South Africa. TLC is the same n so many ways, much more familiar than even I expected it to be. It is also new- with different volunteers, different babies, and a lighter work load.
The past two Monday nights, we’ve had a bible study around the bonfire, which has been very encouraging. We have been praying together there- especially for the older kids here who are still not free for adoption. God has answered some such prayers already, in His infinite goodness. One of my dear little Lions, who will be three in just 11 days, is getting adopted next week! Also the beautiful girl here with CP, is looking likely to be adopted internationally before Christmas. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!
At bible study we talked about loving well. About being stand-in mothers and fathers for the children here, and about praying for them hard and often. Zoe also said something very convicting. That we are here ultimately not even for the children, but for God. This is the work He has us doing, but if He tells us to do something else, we wll stop this and do what He tells us. It seems so natural- this obedience thing. But really it’s something I am constantly learning. I am so heart-full to be in South Africa now. Not complete, because I am so far away from those I love. But I feel full of joy because THIS- loving these children well- is the work God wants of me, at this time in my life. May He be glorified, and may He empower me to be obedient to wherever else He calls me.

p.s. TLC is struggling financially. Everyone who has been involved here long-term says that it’s never been this bad before. The cupboards are fast emptying and there is no money to fill them again. Last night we had only potatoes for dinner, and today I don’t know. We need milk and bread and basic food for the babies and all of us. I don’t believe in begging for money, only presenting a need. If God puts it on your heart to give, don’t hesitate to ask me how.

2 comments:

  1. If you go to www.tlc.org.za there's a link on the lefthand side that says Financial Support. once you click on it the page will have a list of different countries with the information on how to donate from each one.

    Also for anyone interested in learning more about TLC in general, there's lots of information about their ministry on that website, or read through a few of the Jarvis family's blogs--www.pippaspassions.blogspot.com has a very current post about their situation and links to three other blogs as well.

    -Mary (on behalf of Alanna til she's back online)

    ReplyDelete