Tuesday, May 31, 2011

learning together

By Mary

Alanna and I started blogging together partially to keep connected as we were moving apart, partially to update others on our lives and the courses they were taking and mostly because our God is awesome. He has done marvelous things in our small, simple lives and how can we not talk about it?

We may not have amazing things to say, or write them in the most amazing way, but at least we'll be two more people talking about the most amazing God.

That's our passion, our heart. But how easy to lose sight of it, to lose the passion and the drive, the focus. When it's not cultivated, when you stop for a moment and look to something else. When you let some other good thing take the place of what is greatest. When you ask only for the gifts, not to know the heart of the One Who gives.

It happens quicker than you think and really before you realize it and you can't seem to find the joy of the Lord people talk about...because you're looking for the joy in other things, without even noticing it.


I talked to Alanna about all of this last week and I'm amazed at the way God seems to teach us similar lessons at similar times, even now when things have changed so much and we can't
talk all the time or practically live at each other's houses.

A lot of people who don't know us well look at our trip to Africa together as the definition of our friendship and I love that it's so much more than that. It wasn't the beginning or the ending but a stop along the way that changed us forever and brought us even closer.

And even in those moments when I get so lonely here, in a state I never thought about visiting, much less living in, I'm so thankful to have true friends to share my heart, to listen and love and understand and point me in the right direction, to tell me true things, even tough things. To pray and grieve and rejoice.

Today I'm thankful for lessons learned, lessons shared. And mostly, that I have a patient Teacher.

(updates on moving to Maryland coming later...)

No comments:

Post a Comment